Latest Instagram Posts
Monday, August 7, 2017

SERIES: BREAKING THE MOLD ONE GARMENT AT A TIME | DANIEL GRIMSLEY A.K.A FRANKNTHECITY

Hey all, we are continuing our "Breaking the Mold a Garment" at a Time series with this amazingly stylish brother.  


Daniel Grimsley a.k.a FrankNtheCity is a personal blogger/style influencer.  He is also a image consultant/wardrobe stylist and I am proud to say, Daniel is a Howard grad! I had the pleasure of conversing with Daniel and getting some insight from his point of view of the position the plus male community is in, what is necessary to continue progression and change in the body positivity movement, and of course how to improve your personal style. Here is our interview, enjoy!!!







As a plus male blogger, what do you consider to be some major challenges for plus men in the industry or those trying to get into the industry?




One of the major challenges for plus men in this industry is the lack of clothing and creativity in the clothing. Yes, there are some major retailers that cater to big and tall men, but most of their clothing is standard across the board and that does not always appeal to every big and tall man. This is a major challenge especially for bloggers and influencers because we have to go the extra mile to find quality clothing that is indeed stylish at the same time. To be a plus man in this industry you have to be daring and different because there will be times where you may have to step outside of the box and that can often times be intimidating.




   In your opinion, what do you feel is necessary in the fashion industry or any other platforms to promote progression in the plus male revolution and the body positivity movement?

We have to support each other. Everyone in this industry has to be supportive of one another and each other’s craft and know that this is not a competition. I see so many times my fellow big and tall blogger brothers (as I refer to them) doing and achieving wonderful things and in my eyes a win for them is not only a win for me, but a win for the plus size male industry as a whole. There is so much awareness surrounding body positivity for women and in order to gain that same following we have to be inclusive and work together to be not only seen, but heard as well in an industry that is growing vastly every day.






 

What are some challenges you faced when it comes to wardrobe. How do you conquer these challenges, and what are some tips you may have for other plus men?

One of the challenges I face personally when it comes to finding wardrobe is finding clothing that actually excites me. For me, when I look for something to wear for an event or a post, I want to make people stop and say “Did he really wear this?”. That can sometimes be very difficult because you cannot find these types of pieces in a Macy’s or Nordstrom. My key to success for years has been THRIFTING. There are no limits in my eyes when it comes to fashion and thrifting is the perfect chance to find things that are different and unique. It is also a great opportunity for you to craft an outfit that is unique to your own personal style and personality.




  What would you consider a major key when buying as a plus sized male consumer? What tips can you provide for those who want to sharpen their edge?

One major key would be to be confident in what you wear, no matter what you wear. You have to silence the opinions of others because they do not walk in your shoes or go through the same struggles you do as a plus size man to find clothing. Also, know what work for your body and proper fitting of clothing. I think over the year’s society has deemed this community as being “sloppy” when that is simply not the case in many situations. In fact, some men just have a hard time finding the necessary resources to find the proper clothing that fits. Lastly, do your research and explore new brands. There are so many brands that cater to big and tall in today’s society that if major retailers do not make it in your size, then you can find someone who is more than willing make something in your size.


You have an amazing sense of style, what would you consider your motivations, influences, and inspiration for your wardrobe?

Thank you! I really appreciate that! One of my major inspirations to be different has always been my mother. She was a curvy woman and growing up as a child I would always see her wear shiny things and stuff that was very bold, and I would wonder why nobody else dressed like she did. She was always the life of the party through the outfits she chose to wear and knowing what worked best for her. Seeing her dress herself without a care of what anyone else thought has shaped me to show society that I will not conform to the norms that have been set for me and that I will not follow their rules. Instead, I will make my own rules and continue to slay it one piece of clothing at a time!


 What do you want to see happen for the plus male revolutionary movement in the coming years?

I want the market for plus men to continue to grow. I want us to continue being body positive advocates for all types of body types. I would love for big retailers to one day carry stylish clothing for big and tall men so that we could actually walk into a store and purchase a stylish shirt or a nice pair of pants without having to wait for it to come in the mail or get things altered to fit nicely. I would love to see some of the major curvy boutiques and brands one day cater to men as well. There’s a sure market for it!


     What is the best advice you could give to someone looking to reinvent themselves and change their sense of style?


Don’t be afraid to be different. Don’t be afraid to get stared at or talked about for being uniquely yourself. Make up your own rules so you change them when you want! Identify what makes you happy and walk in your truth. Once you align those things, you will be unstoppable. You will be confident in yourself enough to not care what anyone else has to say because you are just being authentic self.





What was your motivation behind the creation of the B+ Campaign? What are the campaign's goals? And is there anything we should keep an eye out for?


I started the B+ campaign because I felt like there needed to be a positive space for individuals in the plus size community, especially the big and tall community. There needs to be more awareness about the importance of men being body positive, and I wanted despite's socjd to create a space for nothing but positivity. I always find ways to motivate my friends, and family , so this was my way to share the ways I stay positive despite society constantly trying to tear us down.  
Yes there are some major things to be on the lookout for.
 Everyone should follow us on Instagram @bpositivecampaign. 
I have some major projects that will be dropping in the month of August,
 and I cannot wait to share them!



Well Daniel I am certainly excited to see what is taking place with upcoming projects and the  B+ Campaign. Proud of the strides you are making for the big and tall community. Keep up the great work!!!

I want to thank Daniel Grimsley for being the second feature in my "Breaking the Mold a Garment at a Time" series. 

Follow him on Instagram @franknthecity

Stay updated with the B+ Campaign by following 

Subscribe to his YouTube Channel:

Also comment down below. Share your thoughts and let me know what you think of the series. I would love to hear them. 


Be sure to follow me on all my social medias:


Instagram: @thejay.r

Twitter: @thejay_r

Snapchat: @thejay.r

And check out my youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/jayrswardrobe

8 comments:

  1. I love this series. I love that you are introducing fashion stylists that are making a difference in the realm of fashion in the current. Great job and keep on going πŸ˜πŸ‘ŒπŸΎπŸ™πŸΎπŸ˜˜❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much words like this truly make my endeavors feel worth while. πŸ€—πŸ’–

      Delete
  2. Love it!!! And it was an awesome read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aside from getting some fashion inspo from these brothers, I also got some awareness. I'm loving this men's body positive movement. These post are so necessary, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Words like this really makes this worth while, thank you!πŸ’–

      Delete
    2. I couldn't agree with you more Asha !!!!

      Delete
  4. Loving the Body Positivity and The looks to die forrrrrrr

    ReplyDelete

SEARCH

Latest pins